The extension Mozex, for Firefox and Mozilla, is a very useful extension, written by Tomas Styblo, that let you handle with external applications many internet protocols and many functions (for ex. use of external editor to view the html source, the ftp links, the telnet links etc.).
The last official version of Mozex is the 1.07, made in 2003, that you can downloaded at http://mozex.mozdev.org/, where you can find also the complete documentation about it and also news about other developments.
The 1.07 version is not fully compatible with the Firefox version => 0.9: it works, but you can't see it under Tools --> Extensions , you can uninstall it with the automatic system of Firefox, you can't see the options panel (some of these problems can be solved using other extensions).
Here you can find a modified version, with these features:
- it's fully compatible with the extensions manager of Firefox: you can uninstall it from Tools --> Extensions, you can see the options panel from Tools --> Extensions --> Options;
- fixed a bug that avoids to view with an external editor the html source of local files, if they have blanks in the name;
- the function for AIM links is changed with a generic function "Send Link", that send the url to an external program of your choise. This can be useful in several situations, for example to open links with another browser or with programs different from the default ones;
- in 1.07.2 version, has been fixed a but about the relative paths on downloading (thanks to Arno);
- in 1.07.2 version, has been added a documentation page, available from the options panel.
- version 1.07.4 and higher support blank spaces in command path and arguments (must be enclosed in double quotes);
- in version 1.07.4 the command "view source" can be run also with the shortcut CTRL+Q;
- in version 1.07.5 and higher the command "view source" can be run also with the shortcut CTRL+E.
This version CAN'T works with Mozilla Suite and with Firefox < 0.9.
The version 1.07.9 works with Firefox 1.0 - 9
You can find a version of this extension with a patch for the utf8 textareas at this address.